Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Be a Bright Light Today and Every Day Here After…


As the day ends and we all get into our jammies…most everyone will tuck their blue items away and set a reminder to wear them again April 2, 2014.  I am asking you…as my friends, family, followers…please do NOT do this. 

The fact of the matter is that there are astounding amounts of people who cannot just “tuck” their autism awareness away…mainly because they live with it in their lives and are constantly reminded of autism's ever growing presence. 

So yes, I rocked blue today…but it will not be retired today, or tomorrow, or the day after that.  April is Autism Awareness MONTH so I will be rocking my blue pride EVERY.SINGLE.DAY in April!!  I better go find some more blue, but I am confident I can do it.
I am asking everyone to follow meeeeeee! No, I am not asking you to wear blue every day…but I am asking you to keep your awareness burning bright and burning blue.  It is time to light it up blue because today you may be able to tuck your blues away but by next April 2 you may not be able to say the same…..

Because did you know…

  Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
  Autism prevalence figures are growing
  Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
  Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
  Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
  Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
  There is no medical detection or cure for autism
  Total 2012 NIH budget: $30.86 billion
Of this, only $169 million goes directly to autism research. This represents 0.55% of total NIH funding.

Through my fundraising over the past year I have met so many families who are affected by autism every single day.  They blog, they post, they rant, they rave, they gloat, they live…it is never easy and rarely is it pretty…but it is their life…autism is their life.  No matter what is happening they battle back and stand strong against the battering storm brewing within their loved one. 

I want to stand next them while the storm hammers away.  I want to take their hands and support them when the burden of the load seems like it is too much to handle.  I want to be someone who tells them that they are not alone and that they are stronger than they think.  I want to advocate.  I want to help.  I want to be a voice of hope and reason in a very dark room.

This is why I do what I do.  This is why I fight to fundraise and race for this cause.  We all can hope and pray that autism will never come knocking on our door…but the scary fact is that autism is on the rise…need I say more?

I will be posting my updates on here for fundraising and training and of course lighting it up blue!!  Help me advocate, help me be a voice in the dark, help me be a proud puzzle piece, help me light it up blue!


No comments:

Post a Comment